- Job ID
- Primary Location
- Banksmeadow, New South Wales
- Additional Location(s)
- Bowen Hills, Queensland
C.H. Robinson is one of the largest freight forwarders in the world today. Our culture is driven by our people, process and technology. We promote an atmosphere rich in customer focused execution and entrepreneurial spirit, where creative people share ideas and take ownership in the success of their career and the team. We take care of our people and help them grow.
Our dynamic and ever evolving team is looking for an experienced Customs Broker. Our Customs Brokers work directly with customers, overseas offices, and the Australian Customs department to file entries on imported freight, ensure timely coordination of cargo, and perform accurate reporting and billing. The Customs Broker acts as a trusted advisor to our customers, educating them on Australian Customs and Australian Government Agency requirements.
This role may be based in our Sydney or Brisbane location. Hybrid (working in home and in the office) working arrangement available.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties and responsibilities of this position consist of, but are not limited to, the following:
Maintain Operational Excellence:
- Demonstrate mastery with respect to the customs brokerage products’ standard operating procedures (SOP) and best practices
- Analyze and validate import documentation and data to ensure they are in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations prior to entry submission
- Receive and review documentation to input and transmit data
- Understand the processes, documentation, and terminology involved in international shipping from time of purchase order issuance through the delivery of the cargo
- Customs Classification and lodgment of import declarations on behalf of Importers
- Ensure regulatory requirements are met, and proper documentation exists for all shipments
- Manage customer invoicing, process vendor payables, and assist with receivables of assigned accounts
- Procure and coordinate cargo dispatch with preferred carriers, obtaining delivery confirmation, and finalizing rates and any assessorial charges
- Identify and resolve issues that could potentially result in delayed cargo release or final delivery
- Demonstrate strong decision-making skills and ability to prioritize tasks between daily responsibilities
- Site Specific: Operate Australian Customs Service “ICS” system as required and as per C.H. Robinson Best Practice procedures
- Site Specific: Operate within Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service release and control systems
- Site Specific: Apply all Australian Customs and Quarantine laws and regulations involved in the import and export of goods
- Site Specific: Operate Automated data management systems such as “Inbound” and “Expedient”
- Demonstrate proactive, professional, clarity, and reliability to our peers and our customers through verbal and written language
- Serve as the primary CH Robinson customs representative for the customer account base, ensuring prompt response to customer inquiries and follow through on issues until resolution to customer satisfaction
- Begin to develop the skill to serve as a Customs trusted advisor, transitioning from the day-to-day data entry fundamentals to true customs brokerage account management of CHR clients
- Promote a positive working relationship for all team members
- Gain awareness into customer specific standard operating procedures (SOP) and honor those commitments
- Adhere to a high level of operational excellence with respect to on time performance, accuracy, and customer service
- Collaborate with support staff and modal departments to ensure import data integrity and compliance with customer SOP
- Understand and learn to leverage CHR’s network of departments, support teams and leadership.
- Direct ownership of Customer Standard Operating Procedures
- Complete Customs tariff classification and valuation
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned according to the team and/or country specific requirements
- High School Certificate
- Customs experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite of programs
- ABF Customs Broker’s license
- Proven track record of dealing with customers and being client focused
- Critical-thinking, flexibility, and problem-solving skills to adapt to ever-changing tasks and customer needs
- Reputation for logical, methodical, and expedient approach to problem resolution
- High level of attention to detail
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline-driven office environment
- Site Specific: Ability to influence the lifecycle shipping process
- Values a diverse and inclusive work environment
- Tertiary or diploma qualification in a related field
- Leadership skills
- Proven communication and customer service skills
- Reputation for logical, methodical and expedient approach to problem resolution
- Time management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong proficiency in technology systems and software
- This job description is intended to generally describe the nature and level of work to be performed by employees in this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and skills required of employees performing this role.
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
- C.H. Robinson is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe in equality for all and celebrate the diversity of our employees, customers, and communities. We believe this increases creativity and innovation, drives business growth, and enables engaged and thriving teams. We’re committed to providing an inclusive environment, free from harassment and discrimination, where all employees feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
At C.H. Robinson Oceania, we are a proud Equal Opportunity employer offering flexible work to support a work/life balance along with offering a broad range of career development opportunities. We have an experienced and passionate team who work collaboratively to deliver smarter solutions for our clients. Employees have access to our well regarded, confidential Employee Assistance Program. Our Robinson Cares program allows our employees to give back to the community.
Why Do You Belong at C.H. Robinson?
Standing out among the world’s largest logistics platforms, C.H. Robinson solves logistics problems for companies across the globe and across industries, from the simple to the most complex. For 100+ years, our global suite of services has innovated trade to seamlessly deliver the products and goods that drive the world’s economy. With 19 million shipments annually for 105,000 customers, our people and technology literally move the world.
As a FORTUNE 200 company, FORTUNE has also named C.H. Robinson one of the World’s Most Admired Companies 2022. Headquartered in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, we are proud to be recognized as one of LinkedIn’s Top Companies in Minneapolis-St. Paul 2021. And we’re not stopping there… Join us as we collaborate, innovate, and work as one global team to make life better and more sustainable for our customers, communities, and world.
Join Our Talent Community
Receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests.