Melon Category Manager
As a Category Manager, you’ll be accountable for leading and growing the Melon category for the North region in a player/coach role. As the expert for the North region in this category, you’ll be responsible for effectively developing, managing, and communicating the category plan. This is a highly visible and collaborative role, and you will be the customer-facing expert for the category when needed. In this role you will have management responsibility for the Category Specialists aligned to the category. Our Category Managers have excellent communication skills, can establish immediate credibility, develop positive working relationships that drive critical business activity, and reinforce our culture.
Our main priority continues to be the health and safety of our employees. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will be remote until further notice. We continue to monitor when it will be safe to return to the office.
- Oversee the day to day management of the category including communication, execution, service levels (of customers and suppliers), project management, contract proposals, new target quoting, and reporting.
- Develop a strong supply plan with the right suppliers and category strategy to meet the requirements of North customers and enable the growth and profitability of the category.
- Manage grower/supplier relationships, in alignment with the category strategy and plan developed
- Represent and communicate the needs and supply requirements of the region within the divisional category team.
- Consistently and effectively educate internal sales and AM teams, enabling confident sale of the category.
- Responsible for daily, promotional, and contract pricing decisions.
- Support business development activity that enables existing customer penetration and new activity.
- Collaborate with Account Managers to develop category plans for top accounts and targets.
- Participate in customer meetings when needed as the SME for the Melon category.
- Responsible for people management and development of Category Specialists within the Melon category.
- Report monthly and quarterly results related to the category.
- Support and lead company branded sales programs within the category.
- Lead innovation within the category, differentiating our offering through packaging, varietals, supply chain efficiencies, etc. to remain relevant and competitive in the marketplace.
- Work with internal partners to develop strong supply chains that enable profitable returns for Robinson Fresh and our grower/supplier base.
- Communicate regional programs across the Robinson Fresh network for additional sales opportunities.
- Be a positive role model for Robinson Fresh within the category in the broader industry.
- High School degree or equivalent
- Minimum 3+ years fresh produce experience (in buying and selling
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience in Melons category
- Strategic and innovative mindset, able to develop and drive initiatives from conception to implementation
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; ability to make data-driven decisions
- Excellent relationship building skills with customers, growers, and internal teams
- Depth of knowledge in the grower/shipper side of the produce industry
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including influencing and negotiating
- Solid financial acumen
- Demonstrated ability to mentor, lead and develop others
- Strong team player who thrives in a collaborative environment
- Values a diverse and inclusive work environment
- Enter preferred qualification
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
C.H. Robinson is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe in equality for all and celebrate the diversity of our employees, customers and communities. We believe this increases creativity and innovation, drives business growth and enables engaged and thriving teams. We’re committed to providing an inclusive environment, free from harassment and discrimination, where all employees feel welcomed, valued and respected.
Affirmative Action Employer/EOE/M/F/Disabled/Veteran
We are proud to offer a top-tier benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, prescription drug coverage, paid parental leave, paid holidays and paid time off (PTO), 401K, employee stock purchase plan, as well as a broad range of career development opportunities.
About C.H. Robinson
From the produce you buy, to the water you drink, C.H. Robinson delivers products to people all around the globe. We are one of the world’s largest 3rd party logistic providers. Join our diverse team to innovate, solve problems, have fun and thrive.
Join our Talent Network
Receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests.