Carrier Account Manager (2021)
As a carrier Account Manager, you will be focused on the growth and development of a carrier portfolio. You will secure capacity to ensure shipments move in accordance with customer expectations and/or to enable digital matching of equipment to freight. Your role will combines sales, account management, and operational execution to meet the transportation needs of the customer.
Duties and responsibilities will consist of, but are not limited to:
- Secures capacity by balancing a portfolio of committed capacity as well as placing outbound calls and taking inbound calls generated from load boards. Autonomously negotiates commitments with carriers for volume, lane, and/or rates in alignment with longer term and/or strategic business opportunities.
- Is focused on developing alternative capacity such as drop trailer, dedicated capacity and multi-leg movements as well as traditional coverage.
- Develops a deep understanding of carrier’s business, goals, preferences, capabilities, equipment and expertise to maximize the relationship, capacity utilization and carrier satisfaction.
- Uses expertise and knowledge of the market and carrier preferences to source and provide capacity in both contractual and spot market environments.
- Matches capacity to shipments so that assigned and open-board freight moves in accordance with customer expectations.
- Provides day to day problem resolution; identifies issues, determines the best course of action and implements solutions. Works closely with internal partners (account management, operations or leadership) on shipment updates, problem resolution and/or operational execution.
- Proactively posts available capacity, using complete and accurate details, to enable efficient matching of freight to equipment.
- Utilizes and interprets carrier analytics and internal pricing tools to guide informed buying/negotiating decisions that are within cost parameters and at market rates.
- Ensures shipment updates are recorded within expected parameters to meet customer visibility demands.
- Continuously develops and/or sells booking automation through tools such as Book it Now and Auto Tender to support organizational automated booking goals.
- Actively participates and partners with truckload service line on strategic procurement activities.
Internal and External Relationships
- Develops a diversified carrier portfolio. Maintains and grows relationships through regular phone calls, emails and/or face to face visits. Serve as their CH Robinson representative, sells products and drives automation.
- Participates in and/or leads carrier account reviews either independently or with collaboration from their manager; evaluates current and future business needs, discusses recent wins/losses and identifies opportunities for additional business.
- Establishes contacts and builds relationships to form an internal network of resources comprised of commercial team members, service line partners, and operations teams.
- Automates carrier activities in accordance with company strategy. Accountable to learn and understand all automation tool options and keep abreast of industry changes or trends.
- Ensures quality expectations are met on all executed shipments.
- Complies with all internal trading rules.
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent
- Minimum of one year carrier sales experience
- Values a Diverse and inclusive work environment
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Service-oriented disposition: approaches their work, takes action and makes decisions in the best interests of the customer and carrier.
- Meets quality expectations: demonstrates an understanding of the importance of quality and executes their work accordingly.
- Takes personal accountability and consistently demonstrates follow through on the expectations of their role.
- Has shown negotiation skills that reach outcomes that are mutually beneficial to the customer and carrier.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, high energy environment, has demonstrated the ability to manage their time to ensure role expectations are completed with quality and within required timeframes.
- Strong relationship building skills: builds positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Shares information and provides support to other team members to ensure collective success of the team and C.H. Robinson.
- Has consistently demonstrated an adherence to community trading rules and behavioral expectations.
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
C.H. Robinson is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe in equality for all and celebrate the diversity of our employees, customers and communities. We believe this increases creativity and innovation, drives business growth and enables engaged and thriving teams. We’re committed to providing an inclusive environment, free from harassment and discrimination, where all employees feel welcomed, valued and respected.
Affirmative Action Employer/EOE/M/F/Disabled/Veteran
We are proud to offer a top-tier benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, prescription drug coverage, paid parental leave, paid holidays and paid time off (PTO), 401K, employee stock purchase plan, as well as a broad range of career development opportunities.
About C.H. Robinson
From the produce you buy, to the water you drink, C.H. Robinson delivers products to people all around the globe. We are one of the world’s largest 3rd party logistic providers. Join our diverse team to innovate, solve problems, have fun and thrive.
Join our Talent Network
Receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests.