The Manager, Operations leads a team responsible for operational activities impacting the life of a load (quote-to-cash), ensuring effectiveness and efficiency throughout the entire process. Leveraging knowledge of factors impacting the company’s ability to consistently and efficiently provide world class service to customers and carriers, the manager will be challenged to continuously evolve and improve all components of operations, including workflow and process, talent, and performance management. The individual will be responsible for driving internal and external continuous improvement efforts, including service, cost to serve and cycle time optimization. The position will work closely with leaders across regional leadership, commercial, capacity, service lines and Operational Excellence to achieve goals aligned with C.H. Robinson’s world class operations strategy.
This role is located in Kansas City.
- Lead and motivate the team to achieve goals.
- Create a culture of accountability and world class execution.
- Work with peers and leadership to develop and implement operational strategy.
- Employ strong change management tactics to drive desired behaviors and results.
- Develop strong business partnerships with regional leaders to drive continuous operational improvements.
- Support the personal/professional development for assigned team. Coach and guide to improve performance and drive accountability. Provide timely feedback and problem-solving assistance via regular checkpoints and/or in response to situational needs. Understand development needs and create opportunities for experiences that support development needs.
- Partner with Talent Acquisition team to develop and deploy hiring strategies to meet the needs of the business and ensure Learning & Development resources are being fully utilized to maximize employee development and job performance.
- Implement employee engagement and retention programs, and advocate for individual and team development, career pathing and succession planning.
- Encourage employee feedback through formal and informal channels. Acknowledge and act on feedback to drive a trusting culture of open two-way communication, inclusivity and continuous improvement.
Quality and Efficiency
- Establish a culture centered on quality, process and efficiency from quote to cash to drive desired service levels at appropriate costs with optimal resource utilization.
- Continuously evaluate operational processes for effectiveness and efficiency and where possible, remove waste, friction and frustration. Create SOP’s and best practices along with performance management expectations that will enable operational improvements and lower cost to serve.
- Share relevant operational and quality information and metrics with team members to inform and improve decision-making, and drive efficiency, quality and profitability.
- Ensure an understanding of available tools and systems to advance work processes and automation; work with leadership and internal stakeholders, including IT, to drive system changes to improve effectiveness and/or efficiency; surface suggestions or improvements to drive better performance.
Business Management and Analytics
- Establish a process driven culture with a focus on efficiency and effectiveness. Leverage technology to minimize and remove routine work.
- Frequently monitor and review aggregated and individual performance versus reliable benchmarks to identify opportunities to maximize or improve performance; share reporting and insights with leaders and employees as appropriate.
- Ensure service delivery standards are being met through routine process review, and utilize regular reports and analytics to adjust execution strategy and resource requirements.
- Develop, implement and enhance SOP’s to meet internal and external operational excellence goals.
- Align resources to support efficiency and effectiveness goals and actively manage and adjust short and long-term plans.
- Manage internal relationships to ensure collaboration, knowledge sharing and process improvement.
- Keep employees well-informed of operational activities, initiatives, and procedures and the impact to CHR overall.
- Communicate industry issues, trends and emerging market conditions to support operational decision-making.
- Share observations, feedback, and ideas to North American Transportation leadership and peers/stakeholders.
- Represent C.H. Robinson at a strategic level with key customers, carriers and vendors.
- High school diploma required
- Minimum of 3 years’ supply chain industry experience
- Minimum of 3 years with direct or indirect supervisory experience
- Ability to travel up to 10% may be required
- B.A. or B.S. from an accredited college or university
- Ability to build, manage and foster a team-oriented environment
- Collaborative and adaptive leadership style
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively present to both internal and external audiences
- Ability to understand and communicate financial and other performance metrics
- Experience or knowledge of operational excellence methodologies (i.e. Lean, Six Sigma, CSCP, etc.)
- Proven track record for delivering continuous improvement results
- Ability to multitask and prioritize projects efficiently and effectively with superb attention to detail
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Technical Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications
We are proud to offer a top-tier benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, prescription drug coverage, paid parental leave, paid holidays and paid time off (PTO), 401K with company match, employee stock purchase plan, as well as a broad range of career development opportunities.
About C.H. Robinson
At C.H. Robinson, we believe in accelerating global trade to drive the world’s economy. Using the strengths of our people, processes and technology, we help our customers work smarter, not harder. As one of the world’s largest third-party logistics providers (3PL), we provide a broad portfolio of logistics services, fresh produce sourcing and Managed Services through our global network. In addition, the company, our Foundation and our employees contribute annually to a variety of organizations. Headquartered in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, C.H. Robinson (CHRW) is publicly traded on the NASDAQ. For more information, visit http://www.chrobinson.com or view our company video.
Equal Opportunity Employer
C.H. Robinson - Affirmative Action Employer/EOE/M/F/Disabled/Veteran