General Manager - Freight ForwardingApply Now
The Global Forwarding General Manager (GM) of the Chicago office will have oversite of approximately 260 employees including sales, account management and operations. This dynamic team is led by 32 managers and supervisors overseeing a diverse mix of business inclusive of air, ocean, import, export and customs brokerage services. The Chicago office manages a variety of small, medium and large global customers across multiple verticals. The GM will organize, plan, coordinate and control all branch operations. You will lead strategic goal planning and manage execution to meet goals. You will be responsible for the sales and financial performance of the team and for all personnel, financial, and reporting requirements necessary to ensure that ongoing operations are performed in a cost-effective manner. This position includes travel to execute business.
- Sets and submits financial performance goals, including a revenue and expense budget, for the branch
- Monitors branch performance against financial goals, review progress regularly with regional leadership, and communicates progress regularly with branch
- Submits (Sarbanes-Oxley) quarterly manager sign-off
- Architects the branch (rollup) compensation plan and ensures reward programs are administered in accordance with C.H. Robinson’s pay for performance philosophy
- Architects and owns the branch business plan, ensures alignment with enterprise strategies
- Measures, monitors, and communicates updates regarding performance against branch business plan and updates plan as necessary on a regular basis
- Effectively manage relationships with current customers ranging from small companies to large multi-national organizations.
- Drive sales growth through commercial facing activities and sales oversight. Involved with setting and executing the sales strategy for large opportunities.
- Develops and adapts operating structure, leveraging technology, internal resources, etc., to accommodate changes in branch strategy, business needs, or as new work of increased scope and complexity requires
- Understands, implements, and ensures adoption of technology within the branch
- Utilizes resources to monitor performance, productivity, and efficiency metrics
- Assesses and understands market opportunities and trends, and how market conditions impact business performance and financials
- Develops and leverages a broad network of resources throughout the organization
- Nurtures long-term partnerships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Sets branch talent acquisition strategy and ensures adherence to talent acquisition policies and best practices
- Understands the local talent marketplace
- Understands and forecasts branch hiring needs
- Understands branch talent landscape; develops talent contingencies and succession pipelines for key roles within the branch
- Ensures employees have quality PDPs, communicates about development opportunities, and acts as an advocate for employee development
- Establishes line of sight between CHR’s objectives, branch strategy and objectives, and individual goals
- Monitors branch performance against goals and communicates with the branch about progress
- Measures employee performance against KPIs
- Provides input and guidance with regard to disciplinary action related to employee performance, acts as a branch escalation point
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in global freight forwarding
- Minimum 2 years’ experience people management & development
- Acute sense of business acumen
- Successful and proven sales and sales management track record
- New account sales success, and large account management skills
- Strong communication skills both written & verbal
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
We are proud to offer a top-tier benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, prescription drug coverage, paid parental leave, paid holidays and paid time off (PTO), 401K with company match, employee stock purchase plan, as well as a broad range of career development opportunities.
About C.H. Robinson
At C.H. Robinson, we believe in accelerating global trade to drive the world’s economy. Using the strengths of our people, processes and technology, we help our customers work smarter, not harder. As one of the world’s largest third-party logistics providers (3PL), we provide a broad portfolio of logistics services, fresh produce sourcing and Managed Services through our global network. In addition, the company, our Foundation and our employees contribute annually to a variety of organizations. Headquartered in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, C.H. Robinson (CHRW) is publicly traded on the NASDAQ. For more information, visit http://www.chrobinson.com or view our company video.
Equal Opportunity Employer
C.H. Robinson - Affirmative Action Employer/EOE/M/F/Disabled/Veteran